I’m pleased to announce that, as of today, I’m officially a Certified Instructor of JOURNAL TO THE SELF® Workshops! Cue the cartwheels of joy!! I’m really excited about this, as little by little, over the course of the past year, I’ve worked my way through the Instructor Certification Training program via the Center for Journal Therapy.
What is JOURNAL TO THE SELF®, you may ask? Good question. It’s a journal-writing workshop based on the pioneering work of rock-star journal-therapy theorist Kathleen Adams. The curriculum helps you acquire a toolbox of journaling techniques that you can use to write your way to your goals—whether that be personal growth, professional development, creative expression, or strategic life management.
I undertook the training because I’m a hardcore believer in the power of journaling (a.k.a. “expressive writing”) to connect you to your highest self, heal psychic wounds, and help you manifest your deepest desires. As Kathleen Adams writes in her book Journal to the Self, “In moments of ecstasy, in moments of despair, the journal remains an impassive, silent friend, forever ready to console, to confront, to contain, to cheer on. Its potential as a tool for holistic mental health is unsurpassed.”
And that’s not just her personal opinion—study after study has shown how writing in your journal can increase an overall sense of wellbeing and reduce depressive symptoms, as well as fortify resilience in the face of traumatic events.
Here are some of the other benefits that you can learn how to access by taking a JOURNAL TO THE SELF® Workshop:
- Safely release tension, frustration, anger and other strong emotions.
- Access your subconscious and unconscious minds and tap into the vast knowledge stored there.
- Keep a record for the future of how your life unfolds.
- Track cycles, patterns, and trends in your life.
- Unlock the mysteries of your dreams.
- Experiment with creative writing.
- Outwit dreaded writer’s block and increase overall writing skills.
- Find support for your journaling from your peers.
- Write your own autobiography.
- Clarify goals.
- Increase time-management and organizational skills.
- Write spontaneously and with joy.
- Regard your journal as a trusted, valued friend.
Sound good? Well then, stay tuned. Now that my certification is official, I’ll be launching workshops in the Pasadena and Greater Los Angeles areas as soon as possible, at venues like schools, libraries, bookshops, counseling centers, and therapy practices. If you’re interested in getting a group of friends together and even meeting in your living room, let me know—that can be arranged! The JOURNAL TO THE SELF® curriculum can also be taught one-on-one, so feel free to inquire about that option, too.
Away we go!